It was Ruskin's sixteenth birthday. His Indian mother- Raashi wanted to have a small 'Rudra Abhishek' ritual whereas his American father- David wished to organise a 'Sweet Sixteen' party. Ruskin had always been grinded between the two cultures of his parents and never felt like he belonged anywhere.
Ruskin rejected his parents' ideas and instead suggested going out for dinner. They were served with hot savory dishes. Ruskin was busy multitasking between eating and scrolling through his phone while his parents continued chattering whether they should move back to India or not. The conversation was gradually getting heated when Ruskin banged the table with his fist and glared at his parents.
"Are you done arguing? I need to tell you both something.
"Yes, go on.", said David.
Ruskin disclosed, " I'm gay."
Both Raashi and David choked and started coughing, awkwardly looking into each other's direction when David consoled, "Ruskin, it's just a phase. It's nothing. " Raashi nodded, "Yes once the ritual is done then all the evil eyes will vanish. Then you'll be fine and healthy."Ruskin stood up in frustration and shrieked, "You both never understand. I. AM. GAY."
David glared at Ruskin and rebuked him, "No. You're just CONFUSED. YOU ARE NOT GAY." Two men holding each other's arm affectionately passed their table with a bewildered expression. David met their eyes, sheepishly smiled and said, "Oh! We have many gay friends." Ruskin pushed his plate clunking it with other plates on the dining table and said, "I'm done. I've lost my appetite." He turned to leave when Raashi held his hand and pulled him to sit. She berated him, "Shut your mouth and eat."
David defended Ruskin, "He's a kid. Don't force it." Raashi howled, "No. He needs to respect Goddess Annapurna and complete it. I'm done with this western culture. I don't want my kid to become some stupid yankee." A blonde American woman passed their table with an offended expression. Raashi met her eye and laughed unpleasantly, "Oh! We have many American friends."
Ruskin leaned on the table, "Mom.Dad. Seriously? I'm ashamed of you both." Both David and Raashi bawled in unison, "Mind your language Ruskin."
Ruskin chucked, "Wow! You both should rather learn to mind your language and thanks for such a birthday present" He dashed out of the front door. David and Raashi sat there unable to look into the eyes of customers who were still staring at them with grimaces.